Crawford Priory was originally built as Crawford Lodge by the 21st Earl of Crawford in 1758. It was substantially enlarged and extended in the early nineteenth century by a sister of the 22nd Earl, Lady Mary Lindsay Crawford. Lady Mary engaged architects, David Hamilton and then James Gillespie Graham to redesign the building in the gothic style, adding buttresses, turrets and pinnacles effecting the look of a priory, although it had had no religious history. Lady Mary's heirs, the Earls of Glasgow, further developed the house. In 1871 the 6th Earl of Glasgow built a chapel in the east front. However, huge debts forced the 7th Earl to sell off all his estates in order to retain the family seat at Kelburn, near Largs. The house then passed to the politician, Baron Thomas Cochrane, son-in-law of the 6th Earl of Glasgow. After the death of the 2nd Baron in 1968 the house was closed, and gradually fell into disrepair and ruin. #castlesofscotland #scotland #abandonedplaces #scottish #travel
13.62% ERengagement of this clip — above the author's average (10.86%)
top 70%outperforms 30% of the author's clips
15%of the author's average views